Cosmetic Dentistry Can Give You a Movie Star Smile
Thanks to many advances in modern dental technology and treatments, cosmetic dentistry has become a reliable and much more affordable option for creating a great smile. At Serene Dental Care, we would love to help you understand all the options that cosmetic dentistry can now make available.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a general term for any type of dental procedure that is used to improve the esthetics of teeth. According to the American Dental Association, cosmetic dentistry falls primarily in two different fields: prosthodontics, which focuses on restoring teeth, and orthodontics, which is concerned with fixing gaps between teeth and other bite irregularities.
Cosmetic dentistry can help you with numerous techniques designed to improve dental esthetic:
- Bite Reclamation: A common treatment for those with teeth grinding or acid reflux problems, bite reclamation is used to lengthen teeth that have been worn down or have become uneven.
- Bonding: Dental bonding is a treatment that can be completed in a single visit. A composite resin is bonded to a tooth in order to repair chips or decay as well as tooth discoloration. Bonding is generally inexpensive, but the resin can be stained by drinking coffee, wine, etc., and is not as strong as a natural tooth.
- Dental Bridges: When teeth are missing, a bridge can cover the gap left, restoring both bite and smile in the process. There are different types of bridges available. By restoring a tooth to space that had been previously empty, bridges can also maintain facial structure.
- Gum Lift: This procedure helps to even out the gum line and gives teeth a more symmetrical and esthetically pleasing appearance.
- Tooth Reshaping: Also known as dental contouring, this procedure is used to correct minor imperfections in teeth, such as small chips or a slight overlap between teeth. It is often combined with bonding to further add to its effect.
- Veneers: Dental veneers are a step above bonding. In this procedure a small layer of enamel is removed from a tooth in order to attach a porcelain shell. The veneer can be colored to match surrounding teeth, or multiple veneers can be used to create a much whiter smile than the original tooth surfaces.
- Whitening: There are a wide variety of teeth whitening treatments. In general, teeth whitening involves bleaching or otherwise recoloring teeth to create a white smile. This can be done sometimes with at-home treatments, though the teeth whitening your dentist can professionally apply will always be more effective.
Choosing the Best Option
Because the efficacy of each treatment can vary depending on your individual dental situation, it is always best to discuss your options with one of Serene Dental Care’s professionals.
It is also important to note that since these are cosmetic dentistry procedures, they may not be covered by insurance plans. The cost of cosmetic dentistry can sometimes be a hindrance to perspective patients. However, there are many financing options available, such as credit cards designed specifically for dental expenses, which your Serene Dental Care can explain and with which they can connect you.
If you are interested in learning more about the cosmetic dentistry available to you, please contact Serene Dental Care today. We are happy to help!